What's new for 2015?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac and You
I love "Angel" what an incredible photo!
This is what I speak of, even though it may not bring guests at that particular time, you will have people who love that sort of thing who want to go and may come in the off season even. I would. Someone may find it and add it to a book, photo or otherwise. (if they have not already)
We put the hummer feeders away as we don't want them to try to stick around.
Okay now I need to ask you a qwekshun Mac and You... I only now liked your FB page because I never saw it on your website, no link to it. You have so much going on via amazing photos on FB.
Do you know the best way to tie it all in together and allow you space to share all those photos with your url and B&B name (that google will find)? BLOG.
I didn't see one, if you don't have one, I implore you... you are on the cusp of it, you just don't know it yet.
I would LOVE to see all those photos. Heck you could do a photo blog only, with a link to your place. You won't even have to type anything other than that! Whatdya say Mac and You?.
I know you're right yet I resist.
I have/had a blog: http://thetexaswoman.blogspot.com/. Haven't worked it in a couple of years and followers have fallen off. It sort of turned into a cancer blog and although cancer victims told me it was inspiring and helpful, it got to be depressing to me, a chore, an obligation. A constant reminder of my disease. And then my sister died of cancer. Thud! That was the bottom dropping out of my blogging life!
But a photo blog for the B&B is a horse of a different color! Have any sample photo blogs up your sleeve?
P.S. http://thetexaswoman.blogspot.com/2009/09/photo-album-of-chemo-cut.html This post still gets me emails. Think I need another Mohawk haircut!
Love those!
All of them, even the mohawk!
Socks don't mate for life, that is so cool
I instinctively knew you were a blogger, I knew that about you. You had to be. Your creative output.
There is another decorating afficionado who began as an innkeeper and went far...speaking of pinterest and such.
His name was Michael, he began here with us and then was whisked away by the crafting and home decorating kings... let me find his blog. Oh here is an older article in the Huffpost about him, before he closed his B&B and took up the other full time.
FOUR MILLION followers on Pinterest
Here is Michael's blog
He has 4 million followers? Holy cow. But he is good!

Mac and You
This is what I speak of, even though it may not bring guests at that particular time, you will have people who love that sort of thing who want to go and may come in the off season even. I would. Someone may find it and add it to a book, photo or otherwise. (if they have not already)
Okay now I need to ask you a qwekshun Mac and You... I only now liked your FB page because I never saw it on your website, no link to it. You have so much going on via amazing photos on FB.
Do you know the best way to tie it all in together and allow you space to share all those photos with your url and B&B name (that google will find)? BLOG.
I didn't see one, if you don't have one, I implore you... you are on the cusp of it, you just don't know it yet.
I would LOVE to see all those photos. Heck you could do a photo blog only, with a link to your place. You won't even have to type anything other than that! Whatdya say Mac and You?.
I have/had a blog: http://thetexaswoman.blogspot.com/. Haven't worked it in a couple of years and followers have fallen off. It sort of turned into a cancer blog and although cancer victims told me it was inspiring and helpful, it got to be depressing to me, a chore, an obligation. A constant reminder of my disease. And then my sister died of cancer. Thud! That was the bottom dropping out of my blogging life!
But a photo blog for the B&B is a horse of a different color! Have any sample photo blogs up your sleeve?
P.S. http://thetexaswoman.blogspot.com/2009/09/photo-album-of-chemo-cut.html This post still gets me emails. Think I need another Mohawk haircut!
Love those!
I instinctively knew you were a blogger, I knew that about you. You had to be. Your creative output.
There is another decorating afficionado who began as an innkeeper and went far...speaking of pinterest and such.
His name was Michael, he began here with us and then was whisked away by the crafting and home decorating kings... let me find his blog. Oh here is an older article in the Huffpost about him, before he closed his B&B and took up the other full time.
Here is Michael's blog
I see I'll be spending the weekend looking through Michael's blog! And his Pinterest! Great stuff there. Thanks for turning me on to him, Joey. And looking through everyone's blogs. I didn't even know that was there, Morticia. Thanks.

Mac and You
Love those!
Here is Michael's blog
Took one look and that was it- threw in towel.

Mac and You
Love those!
Here is Michael's blog
He has 4 million followers? Holy cow. But he is good!
Take a look at these two plug ins. May be your solution to your recipe issues.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/recipepress-reloaded/
https://wordpress.org/plugins/easyrecipe/

Well, folks, now that you have all shared all your new projects, I'll say that I am getting a website redo which will soon be ready. That is in part to let everyone know that I am trying to meet the minimum requirements of an Innspiring Innkeeper (just kidding).
The other thing is that I'll be having the BIG birthday this year (and it's not 21). I think I'll hire out the lawn mowing and other landscaping. Last summer I fought plantar fasciitis and when I don't mow my feet feel a whole lot better.
I have a very part time housekeeper who is a young woman I have known since she was a child. She has had a rough time of it and when she lost her real job last spring I thought I was hiring her on a very temporary basis. Well... she hasn't found a "real job", so I have to decide whether to give her more responsibility. Because of some emotional baggage she carries around, she functions like a 14-year old, so although she is good about showing up, she sometimes forgets things, so I have to check her work afterwards.
I know if I really looked, I could probably find someone who would do a better job, but life tends to bring projects to my doorstep. Basically she just works on the rooms. Usually I strip the beds and bathrooms and do the laundry.
Last summer I suggested she try pulling weeds for extra hours. Unfortunately she couldn't identify thistles or dandelions (dumb like a fox, eh) so I didn't pursue that. She tried ironing, which was OK, but she wasn't much on folding, so I have been doing the ironing. I think perhaps this winter I'll teach her a bit more about folding, and I might even teach her how to operate the washer and dryer. Perhaps if I really try and spend lots of time working with her Murphy will strike and she'll find a real job, or else she will be a bit more help.
And, somehow I forgot to take a vacation last year. I can't say that I missed it, but I do have a bucket list, and somehow turning 65 is really making me much more aware of my mortality than I thought it would. Anyone want to go to Peru with me to see Machu Picchu?

Well, folks, now that you have all shared all your new projects, I'll say that I am getting a website redo which will soon be ready. That is in part to let everyone know that I am trying to meet the minimum requirements of an Innspiring Innkeeper (just kidding).
The other thing is that I'll be having the BIG birthday this year (and it's not 21). I think I'll hire out the lawn mowing and other landscaping. Last summer I fought plantar fasciitis and when I don't mow my feet feel a whole lot better.
I have a very part time housekeeper who is a young woman I have known since she was a child. She has had a rough time of it and when she lost her real job last spring I thought I was hiring her on a very temporary basis. Well... she hasn't found a "real job", so I have to decide whether to give her more responsibility. Because of some emotional baggage she carries around, she functions like a 14-year old, so although she is good about showing up, she sometimes forgets things, so I have to check her work afterwards.
I know if I really looked, I could probably find someone who would do a better job, but life tends to bring projects to my doorstep. Basically she just works on the rooms. Usually I strip the beds and bathrooms and do the laundry.
Last summer I suggested she try pulling weeds for extra hours. Unfortunately she couldn't identify thistles or dandelions (dumb like a fox, eh) so I didn't pursue that. She tried ironing, which was OK, but she wasn't much on folding, so I have been doing the ironing. I think perhaps this winter I'll teach her a bit more about folding, and I might even teach her how to operate the washer and dryer. Perhaps if I really try and spend lots of time working with her Murphy will strike and she'll find a real job, or else she will be a bit more help.
And, somehow I forgot to take a vacation last year. I can't say that I missed it, but I do have a bucket list, and somehow turning 65 is really making me much more aware of my mortality than I thought it would. Anyone want to go to Peru with me to see Machu Picchu?.
Innkeep said:
Anyone want to go to Peru with me to see Machu Picchu?
I visited Machu Picchu a few years ago. It's better that you think it will be! Really amazing. They gave us a guided tour first, then I had 4 hours to wander alone all over the place. Fun to imagine it as it was when it was a living city.
I was on a tour group and we stayed in a hotel in the town below the mountain, but there's also a nicer hotel up on the mountain adjacent to Machu Picchu, and people who stay there get to go out into the ruins at sundown and sunup, so that can add to the experience.
Just be prepared to walk a good deal, and climb a few stairs. OK, a lot of stairs. Just remember that every time you go up, you get to come down again. Down is easy.

And, somehow I forgot to take a vacation last year. I can't say that I missed it, but I do have a bucket list, and somehow turning 65 is really making me much more aware of my mortality than I thought it would. Anyone want to go to Peru with me to see Machu Picchu?.
Innkeep said:
when I don't mow my feet feel a whole lot better
For goodness sakes stopping mowing those feet! No one will see a little toe hair.
shades_smile.gif

Innkeep said:
For goodness sakes stopping mowing those feet! No one will see a little toe hair.
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeep said:
shades_smile.gif
You guys crack me up

Our #1 is to increase occupancy. We have been open since mid August and it's starting out slow. We aren't a tourist destination.
Business is picking up slowly. We had unexpected guests this weekend. They had family whose house burned on the coldest night of the winter so far. It got down to 12 degrees. I know some of you are much colder than that so I won't complain, but we are in the south and it's not supposed to get that cold here.
i am looking forward to the spring when the flowers start to bloom so I can update pictures on the web.

Our #1 is to increase occupancy. We have been open since mid August and it's starting out slow. We aren't a tourist destination.
Business is picking up slowly. We had unexpected guests this weekend. They had family whose house burned on the coldest night of the winter so far. It got down to 12 degrees. I know some of you are much colder than that so I won't complain, but we are in the south and it's not supposed to get that cold here.
i am looking forward to the spring when the flowers start to bloom so I can update pictures on the web..
May I ask, "Why Occupancy?" and "What set of strategies?" Increase Occupancy is a very general statement.
Excuse me if I am being needlessly tough. I am sure there is a great list of strategies in your business and marketing plan. I just saw, "newbie" and couldn't help myself.

i am looking forward to the spring when the flowers start to bloom so I can update pictures on the web..
May I ask, "Why Occupancy?" and "What set of strategies?" Increase Occupancy is a very general statement.
Excuse me if I am being needlessly tough. I am sure there is a great list of strategies in your business and marketing plan. I just saw, "newbie" and couldn't help myself.
Work on our marketing. We are in a very small town with no tourist attractions to get business. A lot of business is word of mouth. We need to look at options to get the most bang for our buck.
No worries about being tough, I am in the military and I can take it!

Work on our marketing. We are in a very small town with no tourist attractions to get business. A lot of business is word of mouth. We need to look at options to get the most bang for our buck.
Lea Ann said:
We are in a very small town with no tourist attractions to get business.
Same here. For me, this means some local advertising, so people think of me when it's time to recommend, to relatives and friends, a place to stay for weddings, funerals, family and class reunions, etc. That's where most of my business comes from.
Number two source is people passing through en route to some other destination, and the occasional tourist who just wants to see what we have here. For those, it's mostly a matter of my website (and optimization so it's found in Google searches) and getting some reviews on TA. A lot of people won't stay at a place they don't know about, if it has no TA reviews.
I'm also listed on Booking and VRBO, and a few find me that way.
Then there are Facebook and Google Places, but I doubt a soul has ever stayed with me primarily due to those.

Word of Mouth is more than a great way to build your business, it's the key to everything you do. Like Gilly, we were in an area that didn't think there was anything to offer. We started slowly BUT we have been marketing us and our area for 10 years and we have grown every year.
May I suggest very specific first steps to identify your markets? future markets? Follow that with your list of wild and crazy ideas for creating your own market. There's no sense in axing out markets until you have thought up as many as you can. You must of had someone in mind when you decided it was a good idea to open a b&b where you are.

Lea Ann - I am in a very small city (pop about 2300) that had no tourist attractions in the minds of the residents. The question most asked when we moved here was more a statement - You moved to Shinnston on purpose? When I asked our home owner's insurance agent how much more the liability insurance would be, his response was one I will NEVER forget - "Do you really think you will need that. Who is going to come to Shinnston?"
The rail-trail was coming into town (did not know that when we bought, just knew the railroad had been less than 50 feet from the house) and I started looking around.I marketed my area - everything within a 60 mile radius was fair game. I created packages to SEE the sights within that circle. I arm-twisted a B & B about 15 miles from my place on the other end of the rail-trail to inn-to-inn package using the rail-tail as a connector. People STILL look to see where the license plate in front of my house is from. Seeing the influx of people due to my web site, the City started marketing itself - and using some leverage available, I got the web site that had been discussed for 3 years developed and online (now in its at least 3rd iteration). MAKE your area a tourist destination. LOOK at what is there - someone somewhere is interested in it.
I have covered bridges, wineries (we are up to 3 now), history, antiques, a lunatic asylum, museums, state parks, golf courses, twisty roads (think motorcycles), rail-trails, and more. And if it is there, I use it. One day a farmer who has a used car lot in town told me his son was tying to start a stable. My reply? How much per night per horse? That is now a small chunk, but a chunk, of my room nights. And horses are allowed on our rail-trail which just happens to be able to be accessed from the farm - another package.
You only THINK you have no tourist attractions.

Lea Ann - I am in a very small city (pop about 2300) that had no tourist attractions in the minds of the residents. The question most asked when we moved here was more a statement - You moved to Shinnston on purpose? When I asked our home owner's insurance agent how much more the liability insurance would be, his response was one I will NEVER forget - "Do you really think you will need that. Who is going to come to Shinnston?"
The rail-trail was coming into town (did not know that when we bought, just knew the railroad had been less than 50 feet from the house) and I started looking around.I marketed my area - everything within a 60 mile radius was fair game. I created packages to SEE the sights within that circle. I arm-twisted a B & B about 15 miles from my place on the other end of the rail-trail to inn-to-inn package using the rail-tail as a connector. People STILL look to see where the license plate in front of my house is from. Seeing the influx of people due to my web site, the City started marketing itself - and using some leverage available, I got the web site that had been discussed for 3 years developed and online (now in its at least 3rd iteration). MAKE your area a tourist destination. LOOK at what is there - someone somewhere is interested in it.
I have covered bridges, wineries (we are up to 3 now), history, antiques, a lunatic asylum, museums, state parks, golf courses, twisty roads (think motorcycles), rail-trails, and more. And if it is there, I use it. One day a farmer who has a used car lot in town told me his son was tying to start a stable. My reply? How much per night per horse? That is now a small chunk, but a chunk, of my room nights. And horses are allowed on our rail-trail which just happens to be able to be accessed from the farm - another package.
gillumhouse said:
And horses are allowed on our rail-trail...
So THAT's what I stepped in!! ;-)

We have a community college in town, so when the "kids" aren't here our population is about 1200. When they are here it's about 2500. Our county is a dry county (we are in the bible belt) and my husband is in politics so needless to say we won't be starting or signing any petitions to get wet. We have a couple of wedding venues close by and have gotten bookings from one. So we are working those avenues. We have had a couple of bookings with people just passing through traveling. We are about 8 miles from the interstate and much nicer than the motels located off the interstate. Our formal garden was planted in the fall, so we are hoping maybe to create an elopement package in the future.

Lea Ann said:
i am looking forward to the spring when the flowers start to bloom so I can update pictures on the web.
Join the chamber of commerce and advertise with them. I held an open house as soon as the place was cleaned up and invited everyone I'd ever met. Invite your realtor, the seller, the neighbors, all the restaurant owners, spread the word locally. Every town has weddings, funerals and holidays. If there is a theater, let them know you are there for performers and crew. If your area has hiking trails, advertise in the hiking trails press, if it has an antique fair, advertise there.
I get some local attention from my FB page. It doesn't hurt.

Lea Ann said:
Join the chamber of commerce and advertise with them. I held an open house as soon as the place was cleaned up and invited everyone I'd ever met. Invite your realtor, the seller, the neighbors, all the restaurant owners, spread the word locally. Every town has weddings, funerals and holidays. If there is a theater, let them know you are there for performers and crew. If your area has hiking trails, advertise in the hiking trails press, if it has an antique fair, advertise there.
I get some local attention from my FB page. It doesn't hurt.
My hubby is on the chamber board and so is one of our partners. We held an open house - grand opening. We did one that was invitation only and then one for the general public. We purchased the house from my hubby's classmate so no realtor involved. We have a FB page and my hubby does most of the posting. I think we need to do more with social media, but I don't want to fill up people's news feeds. We set up on Halloween and gave out candy. I would have liked to have had a Christmas open house, but I ended up having my gall bladder out and then we all four got the sinus crud and stayed sick. So decorating at the house was delayed.

We have a community college in town, so when the "kids" aren't here our population is about 1200. When they are here it's about 2500. Our county is a dry county (we are in the bible belt) and my husband is in politics so needless to say we won't be starting or signing any petitions to get wet. We have a couple of wedding venues close by and have gotten bookings from one. So we are working those avenues. We have had a couple of bookings with people just passing through traveling. We are about 8 miles from the interstate and much nicer than the motels located off the interstate. Our formal garden was planted in the fall, so we are hoping maybe to create an elopement package in the future.
Lea Ann said:
I am about 7 miles from - I always put it as "a tad over 6 miles west of I-79 - so we are about even there. My STATE used to be dry (although it was quite "wet") but is now wet legally. My guests bring their own wine or whatever - I am happy to supply wine goblets. The wet/dry issue usually impacts a restaurant more than it does a B & B. I make no mention of it although I have (rarely) been asked if it is OK. I think there are some B & Bs that do not allow booze on the premises.
The Chamber here is County but promotes only the 2 cities larger than me (where most the hotels are) and was too expensive to join. I was involved with the County CVB until one of those cities destroyed it. Each of those cities now have a CVB. I did become the unofficial - and later got it made official for postage reasons - Tourist Information Center for my City.
I put together several turn-by-turn routes to see things in my 60 mile circle. I have several day trips for motorcycle rides on twisty, hilly roads (don't cross the same piece of pavement twice) that have something to stop and see on them - one goes to a State Park famous for the waterfalls, another crosses a covered bridge. I have several covered bridge tours - a couple of them go to wineries, another to history if they are interested. I now have a museum in town but it is not open all the time - a few days a week seasonally but even a small family history museum mentioned as an FYI on a tour has been something a guest stopped at. It was a name in their family history! YOU have to do the looking so they , the guests, do not have to. Post it on your web site and go from there. I am listed on a bird watching site - I paid for a couple years when it first started and I guess he just left me on - never brought anything that i know of but it is out there. I list on small interest specific sites for example my most productive horse site costs me $40 per year but is a place horse people look. There are biking sites, motorcycle sites, you name it and it is there. Newsprint type publications are usually less expensive than glossy - interest specific.
I know the challenges because I have been there - and with a VERY thin wallet to boot. And since my City is a lot of older population, when the kids come home, they stay with Mom to keep her happy (and she does not charge them). I also have a bereavement rate to try to get the out-of-town funeral attendees. I somehow pissed off the old guy at the funeral home across the street but they DID send me someone 5 years ago (my 14th year in business). I still do not have the occupancy most on here enjoy, but at my age and condition it is OK. I still strive for more of course but get enough to cover my bills even this time of year. For getting "who is going to come", I am still in business in my 19th year and have managed to get known lots of places.

Back