Decorating ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PieBasket

Reaction score
Our new B&B will be empty at point of purchase. It's a cosy cottage with a homely feel at the moment. We would like to keep that.

How did you choose how to decorate your B&B? Should each room be themed or should they be the same? Same furniture or unique pieces from antique shops vs IKEA?

We would like to include small trinkets and sculptures but understand these can break and sometimes don't add to the experience.

Would you have a wardrobe in each room or would a chest of drawers suffice (small double bedrooms with some room for a coffee station)

You should have a small closet/wardrobe & dresser in each room - and a chair. Regarding decorating - curtains/drapes that keep out the light at night and decorate to your preferences. This will be yours and should reflect what you think it should be. Think about what YOU would want/need on an overnight and that is what you do for amenities. The BedPosts innkeepers will be able to tell you the REQUIREMENTS - and there are a lot of them. In the USA (in my state anyway) after registering with the State for taxes and getting the business license from my City - hang out a sign - not so in the UK.

Also do not have anything that you would cry over if it was lost, broken, disappeared anywhere a guest will have access. Have locks on your personal space and where you keep supplies.

I do not have "themed" rooms. I named them for the families that owned the house - it was a residence until I made it a B & B. I bought quality linens - (no sheets over 350 thread count (wrinkles more likely with higher count, more expensive and they WILL get stained!), nice towels. Get a lot of CHEAP WHITE wash cloths and put a sign on that in the bathroom Makeup removal - cheap enough to toss, otherwise they WILL use your good towels and cloths which are more expensive. This will save tome trying to get the makeup out of the good linens. Furniture is sturdy and looks nice - some from antique shops, some from junk shops (you can always refinish or paint to make look like new. Get the BEST mattresses you can afford - add good toppers, bedbug encasements on mattresses, box springs, and pillows then mattress pads and pillow protectors (these are not pillowcases - they go on also) - the pads & pillow protectors are Health Dept required here. A bad mattress will bring complaints.

Ask as questions come up.

You should have a small closet/wardrobe & dresser in each room - and a chair. Regarding decorating - curtains/drapes that keep out the light at night and decorate to your preferences. This will be yours and should reflect what you think it should be. Think about what YOU would want/need on an overnight and that is what you do for amenities. The BedPosts innkeepers will be able to tell you the REQUIREMENTS - and there are a lot of them. In the USA (in my state anyway) after registering with the State for taxes and getting the business license from my City - hang out a sign - not so in the UK.

Also do not have anything that you would cry over if it was lost, broken, disappeared anywhere a guest will have access. Have locks on your personal space and where you keep supplies.

I do not have "themed" rooms. I named them for the families that owned the house - it was a residence until I made it a B & B. I bought quality linens - (no sheets over 350 thread count (wrinkles more likely with higher count, more expensive and they WILL get stained!), nice towels. Get a lot of CHEAP WHITE wash cloths and put a sign on that in the bathroom Makeup removal - cheap enough to toss, otherwise they WILL use your good towels and cloths which are more expensive. This will save tome trying to get the makeup out of the good linens. Furniture is sturdy and looks nice - some from antique shops, some from junk shops (you can always refinish or paint to make look like new. Get the BEST mattresses you can afford - add good toppers, bedbug encasements on mattresses, box springs, and pillows then mattress pads and pillow protectors (these are not pillowcases - they go on also) - the pads & pillow protectors are Health Dept required here. A bad mattress will bring complaints.

Ask as questions come
Once again thank you for such detailed advice.

We have the option of buying the internal furniture. In fact for a few thousand pounds we can have it all. We feel it is too cluttered though, for example there is a large double wardrobe that takes up too much space in the room. I'll have a look to see if I can find some wardrobe/drawer combinations of a reasonable size.

Fortunately there are new blinds installed in all rooms so we will probably buy some nice small curtains and have them tided back with the option to use them. We will try to avoid white as much as possible to avoid marks and stains. The slats should be total blackout and help with noise (we are on a main road).

I think personally I'd want a coffee/tea station. Somewhere to hang a few coats and shirts. Drawers for other clothes. Maybe a small desk and chair, if not then a small round table by the window. The rooms are doubles but furniture eats into a lot of that so we need to be efficient with space.

I think for small trinkets we will go to a few charity shops or boot sales and get some cheap things that don't look too ikea-esque. I have some nice sculptures and art but based on your point I wouldn't want to risk it.

There is an owners area downstairs separated from the rest of the property. This has a large bedroom, a lounge, kitchen and separate bathroom. This is locked so should have excellent privacy when needed. It currently uses a key but I might get a number pad system for safety.

Interesting about the sheets. I'll see if we can buy bulk for a discount. I assume I'd want minimum of 3 sheets for each bed for rotation and to cover quick changeovers. Do you use a dryer or just hang dry the washing? If people stay an average of 2 nights and we have 3 rooms that is a lot of constant washing.

I love the makeup removal idea. I'll get a little basket with them in and place them near the bathroom mirrors. That is the type of tip you only learn once you replace a dozen white towels haha!

Do you use zip beds? The current owners have beds that can either be a double (with mattress topper) or they can unzip and split them as two singles. Even if not a health requirement I'd want very good mattresses with protectors and mattress toppers for comfort above all else

Once again thank you for such detailed advice.

We have the option of buying the internal furniture. In fact for a few thousand pounds we can have it all. We feel it is too cluttered though, for example there is a large double wardrobe that takes up too much space in the room. I'll have a look to see if I can find some wardrobe/drawer combinations of a reasonable size.

Fortunately there are new blinds installed in all rooms so we will probably buy some nice small curtains and have them tided back with the option to use them. We will try to avoid white as much as possible to avoid marks and stains. The slats should be total blackout and help with noise (we are on a main road).

I think personally I'd want a coffee/tea station. Somewhere to hang a few coats and shirts. Drawers for other clothes. Maybe a small desk and chair, if not then a small round table by the window. The rooms are doubles but furniture eats into a lot of that so we need to be efficient with space.

I think for small trinkets we will go to a few charity shops or boot sales and get some cheap things that don't look too ikea-esque. I have some nice sculptures and art but based on your point I wouldn't want to risk it.

There is an owners area downstairs separated from the rest of the property. This has a large bedroom, a lounge, kitchen and separate bathroom. This is locked so should have excellent privacy when needed. It currently uses a key but I might get a number pad system for safety.

Interesting about the sheets. I'll see if we can buy bulk for a discount. I assume I'd want minimum of 3 sheets for each bed for rotation and to cover quick changeovers. Do you use a dryer or just hang dry the washing? If people stay an average of 2 nights and we have 3 rooms that is a lot of constant washing.

I love the makeup removal idea. I'll get a little basket with them in and place them near the bathroom mirrors. That is the type of tip you only learn once you replace a dozen white towels haha!

Do you use zip beds? The current owners have beds that can either be a double (with mattress topper) or they can unzip and split them as two singles. Even if not a health requirement I'd want very good mattresses with protectors and mattress toppers for comfort above all else

I started with 2 doubles and a queen. Then I figured out how to fit a queen in one of the smaller rooms. When I was gifted a king, that queen replaced the last of the doubles. And yes, a minimum of 3 sets per bed - one on the bed, one in the laundry, and one on the shelf. I do my own laundry and until last year, hung sheets on the clothes line, then my shoulder objected do now all in the dryer.

personally, coffee/tea in the room is potential MESS and some will clean out whatever is there. I have a Keurig and a water reservoir in the dining room available whenever. Always remember - your place, your prefers.

What you have in a room depends on room size. Bigger beds are wanted in USA (forgot to say I do not have zip - it is more in the UK than in USA) but does give flexibility if 2 beds are needed.. I would have a chair (bench, some place to sit to put on shoes or read). IF the room will accommodate, a desk is nice. My rooms will not, I have a desk in the Library downstairs if needed. If I missed anything - ask again.

I am going to preface my comments with the following information: We are a unique smallish Inn with 15 rooms so volume is a bit different than most on this site - more guests, more laundry, more, well, everything!
Just a couple of suggestions and comments:

-White is not the enemy - as long as you can use stain treatments and bleach you can get almost anything out!
-We use brushed Microfiber for our sheets (Amazon). They are fantastic! Guests are always asking where we got them because they are so soft. They wash well, do not stain easily and they dry faster than cotton.
-For makeup removal I use fleece ($5 blankets from Wally World is the best) cut into 7" squares. I usually get 50 out of one blanket, so 10 cents each. I roll them and tie with curling ribbon and put a note on each (my grandkids help with this):
Dear Guest,
Please enjoy this soft fleece cloth for removing your make-up and feel free to take this gift with you for your travels!

-I suggest not having coffee/tea station in the room - cleaning carpets is the pits! And guests will clean out the supplies to take with them. They will still probably take it to their room but less potential mess and less restocking supplies and cleaning between guests. Depending on what type of cups you use for the coffee station you can minimize mess by providing lids. If you are using cups and saucers then mess will happen - along with lots of dishes to wash.
-Having a common room for the amenities (coffee, tea, books, games etc.) and a desk/table etc. is the best way to go.
-We use refillable, wall mounted dispensers for shampoo, body wash and lotion in the shower and guests are really on board with the idea of not having so much waste with all of the little bottles.
-No matter how good of a mattress you get be prepared for some complaints. More and more people have beds at home that are very specific to their sleeping comfort. Adjustable frames, air adjustable mattresses, Tempur-Pedic mattress and/or topper, etc. People who have anything other than a "standard" type bed at home will not sleep well on something else. When someone comments about the bed I usually ask them what type of bed do they have at home. It puts it in perspective for both of us.
-Furniture - upcycled, antique or IKEA just make sure that whatever you get is easy to clean and tough to damage.
-If you don't have room for an armoire you could use "Train rack" closets. They hang on the wall and have a shelf and a pole for hangers.
-Art, trinkets and sculptures - only put out what you are willing to lose through theft or breakage. We have a ton of stuff in the common areas but only wall art in the rooms.

Since your life will revolve around this place you need to make it yours and do what makes you happy! Then promote it honestly and they will come!

Latest posts

Back