Service cat????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. We sort of knew that. They are leaving tomorrow. Then no guests for a week.

A friend of mine fell for that line. He thought it would not be that much of an issue.
After the cat left and he started cleaning he noticed a bit of cat dander on top of the cabinet and he then realized the cat had climbed on any surface possible and the dander flew. He had a major cleaning job.
Months went by with many guests in and out and then one guest called him to the cottage. They complained that they could not stay as she was allergic to cat dander and had started with reactions as soon as they entered the cottage.

In Washington, in a medium sized city near us, a case went to court over a 'therapy pet' The landlord (this was a month to month rental) asked for proof of service animal. The doctor's letter said 'comfort animal'
The tenant won the court case. The local daily published. Since then, prospective tenants claim 'comfort animal' a lot, usually with doctor's letter.
No one has tried this at the B&B yet. We do take animals in our separate apartment.

In Washington, in a medium sized city near us, a case went to court over a 'therapy pet' The landlord (this was a month to month rental) asked for proof of service animal. The doctor's letter said 'comfort animal'
The tenant won the court case. The local daily published. Since then, prospective tenants claim 'comfort animal' a lot, usually with doctor's letter.
No one has tried this at the B&B yet. We do take animals in our separate apartment..
When did this case happen? There has been a clarification in the ADA statute in the last approx. year or so.

No one has tried this at the B&B yet. We do take animals in our separate apartment..
Anon Inn said:
No one has tried this at the B&B yet. We do take animals in our separate apartment.
Comfort animal is not a service animal. Maybe the state laws are stricter in WA.

A friend of mine fell for that line. He thought it would not be that much of an issue.
After the cat left and he started cleaning he noticed a bit of cat dander on top of the cabinet and he then realized the cat had climbed on any surface possible and the dander flew. He had a major cleaning job.
Months went by with many guests in and out and then one guest called him to the cottage. They complained that they could not stay as she was allergic to cat dander and had started with reactions as soon as they entered the cottage..
Who brings a cat on vacation? They don't generally adapt well to change.
I've had people ask about cats and I've turned them all down. I don't want to be cleaning up after sloppy litter box users!

And WHO since the beginning of time has been able to train a cat to do anything? Cats train their owners slaves..

Sheesh. I inherited my Mom's (indoor only, declawed) cat when she passed away in early Dec. The kitty is a sweetheart and I certainly see why my Mom loved her -- but I am talking to other family members about taking her as I don't think she will be good for business.
I would be most upset if I got rid of my cat for the good of my guests just to have someone trying to abuse the system and bring one in.

I'm new to the forum and maybe this isn't the best thread to make my first post on but it's a topic that's important to me. So to offer some insight from another perspective: I have traveled with my cat quite a lot. Not because I think it's fun to travel with a cat, but because he requires medicine twice a day. I have a petsitter come to my house for other pets once a day but the cat really needs meds twice. Boarding him in a hospital setting (which is needed for medicine) costs an atrocious amount of money that I simply don't have. If I want to travel, in most cases the cat has to come with me (occasionally I have a friend give him the meds). I've also moved across the country several times which requires stopping for several nights and the cats obviously move with me. I'd rather not have a cat or cats traveling with me but sometimes it's not a choice!
That being said though, he's not my therapy cat but I do understand the need for comfort animals. Yes, a NEED for them. A good friend of mine has severe anxiety. She has a dog that is her therapy dog. When she isn't around her dog her anxiety isn't well controlled at all. Around the dog, she's fine. I won't pretend to understand it because I don't. But I also can't judge it because I've seen her both with and without the dog and she is like two different people.
Back to the cat though. I have always respected places that don't accept pets. That's their right and it doesn't affect me because I'll just find a place that does. Please just keep in mind that dogs can do just as much, if not more, damage than cats. I've seen dogs dig through doors, pee all over beds and carpets, chew expensive objects and knock over breakable things. Cats can absolutely do damage too. But it bothers me when people think dogs are always better to have. It really depends on the individual animal and the individual owner. It's frustrating as a cat owner when hotels and inns will only allow dogs and not cats. (I understand issues about allergies which is why I'm very pro having a few rooms dedicated to animals and some that are completely animal free.)
And on that note I am looking forward to learning more from his forum. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks as my fiancé and I are in the process of buying an inn (currently operating and being sold to new owners.)

Sheesh. I inherited my Mom's (indoor only, declawed) cat when she passed away in early Dec. The kitty is a sweetheart and I certainly see why my Mom loved her -- but I am talking to other family members about taking her as I don't think she will be good for business.
I would be most upset if I got rid of my cat for the good of my guests just to have someone trying to abuse the system and bring one in..
If you like the cat and can keep it away from the guest space then keep the cat.
We had a dog for 6 years here. Yes, you get some people who refuse to stay anywhere there are pets but more people like pets. As long as you keep the cat separate from the guests.
I've had guests cancel because they realized we had a dog. They asked where they could stay. I honestly had to tell them every innkeeper had pets.

Martha, I have two cats that are my babies. They reside on OUR side of the B&B and are not allowed in the guests' areas. I go to the point where I change my clothes before starting my day and I don't touch them while I work. I would never give them up. I believe that pet owners should be responsible for their furry family members until they pass on or else, don't get a pet! They are my non judgmental companions and have been with me through thick and thin.
That being said, I am very clear in my literature and website that I have cats and that they are not in the public areas. I've had people with allergies stay with me, even after asking about the layout, and they haven't had a problem. Not one. But honestly, I've had a good portion of my guests ask me to let my cats roam (not going to happen) because they love animals and miss their own. Because I have one very vocal cat (my little man, Cole), people can hear him call out and have basically marched into my kitchen and up to the gate that separates them from the rest of the house and ask if they can hold him. He is my little social baby.
I've only had to travel once with my cats--when we moved to The Rock--and I appreciated the fact that I could find a place that would take them as well. It was a motel that a paid a premium for, which I gladly did. That being said, I don't take animals because I cannot be all things to all people. We have tossed around the idea of building a small kennel on our property to accommodate those who travel with their pets. But please, don't give your little gift away. I can't think of one B&B within an hours' driving distance that doesn't have a dog or a cat. People can stay in a motel/hotel if they really need to stay away from animals.

Months went by with many guests in and out and then one guest called him to the cottage. They complained that they could not stay as she was allergic to cat dander and had started with reactions as soon as they entered the cottage..
Who brings a cat on vacation? They don't generally adapt well to change.
I've had people ask about cats and I've turned them all down. I don't want to be cleaning up after sloppy litter box users!
So we have vacationed with our pets, both the cat and the dog together. We have even taken them both cruising on our sailboat with us. But we only take the cat with us to "known" places (e.g. the annual week or two at the family cottage). Shorter trips we tend to leave the cat home because she can fend for herself for several days (as long as we leave her enough food and water, and a clean litterbox (to start)). The dog of course can't even be left alone for more than about 8 to 12 hours -- he doesn't have his own door, so needs someone to let him out periodically.
We do have the occasional guest who brings a cat, but they are staying for a week or two in what they see as "their" family cottage...

Martha - DO NOT give away your pet because of guests. They have the option of stay with you or stay elsewhere.
We had a wonderful dog for 16 years. When it was his "time" we were still in Illinois. We made the decision to not get another partly due to future guest allergies (we were not a B & B yet) but more because neither of us was of an age to be walking a dog several times a day in all sorts of weather.
Brooklet - the difference with cats is the dander - it is still there long after the cat has gone and a severe allergy will get it. And dogs are under leash laws - the seemingly hundreds of cats in my city that several people insist on feeding are not under that obligation. Grrrrrr

Anon Inn said:
Comfort animal is not a service animal. Maybe the state laws are stricter in WA.
Exactly. The local (Longview) judge determined the landlord had to let in the comfort animal. The state's (WA) landlord/tenant rules on this are not precise. The landlord did not have the wherewithal to appeal.

Back