Email software?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
My email software stopped working (outlook). The help section says it's no longer supported. I'm looking for a new client.
(Odd that outlook still works for my email from Verizon but not from my own website server.)
I've tried Thunderbird but it didn't work well for me.
I'm trying eM client right now but if I log back into the old outlook account I lose everything in the inbox on eM as apparently it's not downloading the email but just pointing at the location on the server so when the email downloads into outlook, it's gone.
Finally, the question: does anyone use eM and can you help me set it up and understand how it works? Because right now I still need to look at old emails on outlook until I commit to a new email service. I'm finding lots of little things I don't like already - you can't set the from field to show anything other than the email address. (So I can't have it show "my inn name".)
Or, do you have another option for email that I might like better?
Caveats - Thunderbird doesn't work well for me. I don't want gmail for my business mail.

We've switched to the web. You can likely get a gmail account and set it up to send and receive your email as if it's from the software. Just takes a bit of time to set it up. (If you want me to help you do this, I can.)
We have, in the past, used Eudora, Thunderbird and even PostBox. But look at the list at http://alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-outlook-express/ for a long list of what's available.
But, as I said, if you want to move to webmail and set up gmail to pick up your email from your current server and send email as if it's your current server's address, that can be done.

I could not get my outlook to work for quite a few years now and have switched to g mail.

We've switched to the web. You can likely get a gmail account and set it up to send and receive your email as if it's from the software. Just takes a bit of time to set it up. (If you want me to help you do this, I can.)
We have, in the past, used Eudora, Thunderbird and even PostBox. But look at the list at http://alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-outlook-express/ for a long list of what's available.
But, as I said, if you want to move to webmail and set up gmail to pick up your email from your current server and send email as if it's your current server's address, that can be done..
I don't want webmail. I have that with my website already. I want to download the mail and have it on my computer. I do know that limits me to only being able to see mail in one place but I'm OK with that.
I have gmail for myself and I don't like it.
Thanks for the link. I'll check other programs tomorrow.

I switched to Thunderbird when Outlook stopped, had it for a while now, it's messy and a bit slow, but it works are required for me.

But, as I said, if you want to move to webmail and set up gmail to pick up your email from your current server and send email as if it's your current server's address, that can be done..
I don't want webmail. I have that with my website already. I want to download the mail and have it on my computer. I do know that limits me to only being able to see mail in one place but I'm OK with that.
I have gmail for myself and I don't like it.
Thanks for the link. I'll check other programs tomorrow.
BTW, have you tried inbox instead of gmail? go to inbox.google.com instead. Unfortunately, you have to go to gmail to setup filters if you need them, but works well. The new "trip" feature is great for clients, not so great for us, but I don't get it making that error often anymore. But I like how it lets you "sweep" things when you are done and they only reappear in threaded form when you get a reply. Makes having your reservation number in the subject line very important, though, since it recognizes threads by the subject.
There is also Microsoft's web email. Again, designed so you can hide that you are using it.

Morticia,
What operating system are you using (WIndows, Mac OS X, etc) and what version (Win7, Win8, etc)?
BRG

Morticia,
Often "not supported" just means that MS is not providing software updates for this version. If you like Outlook, I'd inquire with your website host support department to see if they made a recent change that is causing your problem and if they have a solution or work around for you. Also looks like a new 2013 version of Outlook is not that expensive if you were to choose to upgrade the version.

Did you contact web hosting? Maybe they have a suggestion for you or can adjust. It may not be supported, but it should still function. All this is prep for Windows 10 I am guessing. IE will no longer be supported either. They will have a new browser...hmmm that should throw folks into a real panic.

Windows Live Mail! Very similar to Outlook, free, you can import your old messages. We switched to it when OExpress went defunct. Easy Peasy.

Morticia,
Often "not supported" just means that MS is not providing software updates for this version. If you like Outlook, I'd inquire with your website host support department to see if they made a recent change that is causing your problem and if they have a solution or work around for you. Also looks like a new 2013 version of Outlook is not that expensive if you were to choose to upgrade the version..
When I clicked on MS links for the solution to the problem I got 'page removed', so even the old help pages are being taken down.
I'll try the web host as one side works (my email) and the other doesn't (inn). 2 different mail hosts.

Did you contact web hosting? Maybe they have a suggestion for you or can adjust. It may not be supported, but it should still function. All this is prep for Windows 10 I am guessing. IE will no longer be supported either. They will have a new browser...hmmm that should throw folks into a real panic..
Not yet. I figured the writing was on the wall. Get something new you old geezer! That's what MS is telling me.

Did you contact web hosting? Maybe they have a suggestion for you or can adjust. It may not be supported, but it should still function. All this is prep for Windows 10 I am guessing. IE will no longer be supported either. They will have a new browser...hmmm that should throw folks into a real panic..
Not yet. I figured the writing was on the wall. Get something new you old geezer! That's what MS is telling me.
i use Windows Live Mail and it works just fine for me. You must have Windows Essentials installed on your computer to have it.

Morticia,
Often "not supported" just means that MS is not providing software updates for this version. If you like Outlook, I'd inquire with your website host support department to see if they made a recent change that is causing your problem and if they have a solution or work around for you. Also looks like a new 2013 version of Outlook is not that expensive if you were to choose to upgrade the version..
When I clicked on MS links for the solution to the problem I got 'page removed', so even the old help pages are being taken down.
I'll try the web host as one side works (my email) and the other doesn't (inn). 2 different mail hosts.
What are you running, Windows 98?

Morticia,
or 3.1...

Morticia,
Jon Sable said:
It's something pretty old.

Morticia,
Jon Sable said:
Windows 10 is coming... XP is past it's support date. Win 8 ain't so bad if you add the menu start button.

Morticia,
Jon Sable said:
Well if it is that old..time to get a new one :)

Morticia,
Jon Sable said:
EmptyNest said:
Yes, a new computer is around the corner. Probably after the season is over and I have time to beat it into submission. I DO NOT want the one that looks like a phone/tablet with all the big buttons. Nice little icons, thank you very much. I'm a dinosaur. Leave me alone.

Back