Worst tourists in the world?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only think of one French couple we had here. He went to shake my hand and then dropped it with the exclamation that " I have zee hans of a scu laa ree maid". I thought that was uncalled for..
The Farmers Daughter said:
I can only think of one French couple we had here. He went to shake my hand and then dropped it with the exclamation that " I have zee hans of a scu laa ree maid". I thought that was uncalled for.
scullery maid: A domestic servant, of lowest status, whose job is to wash dishes and do other menial chores. a.k.a. an innkeeper.
What bothered you most? His brutal honesty or the fact that he noticed?
wink_smile.gif
At least he didn't say that you "have zee hans of a toilette sroob bare"
Proud Texan said:
I can only think of one French couple we had here. He went to shake my hand and then dropped it with the exclamation that " I have zee hans of a scu laa ree maid". I thought that was uncalled for.
scullery maid: A domestic servant, of lowest status, whose job is to wash dishes and do other menial chores. a.k.a. an innkeeper.
wink_smile.gif
Point taken. However I was raised to believe that some things are better left unsaid in polite society.

I can only think of one French couple we had here. He went to shake my hand and then dropped it with the exclamation that " I have zee hans of a scu laa ree maid". I thought that was uncalled for..
wink_smile.gif
Proud Texan said:
wink_smile.gif
Point taken. However I was raised to believe that some things are better left unsaid in polite society.
Again, I make my point. Different culture. He may have been raised to be openly honest. WE have a tendancy to view such behavior as rude....I'm just saying it may not be.

wink_smile.gif
Proud Texan said:
wink_smile.gif
Again, I make my point. Different culture. He may have been raised to be openly honest. WE have a tendancy to view such behavior as rude....I'm just saying it may not be.
Proud Texan said:
I think it is rude.
How would a snappy reply of "Were you raised by wolves?' been taken?
I make my point.

wink_smile.gif
Proud Texan said:
wink_smile.gif
Proud Texan said:
I think it is rude.
I make my point.
Proud Texan said:
I think it is rude.
I make my point.
With my parents and upbringing, that would have been a compliment.

Isn't that pretty much the reputation the French have in their own country. I've never had any desire to go to France, but I hear they aren't good hosts either and especially don't like Americans. Hopefully that's changing. Remember when we actually changed the name of our French fries to Freedom fries..
SweetiePie said:
Remember when we actually changed the name of our French fries to Freedom fries.
I remember that I thought that was just plain dumb. Anyway they're called Pom Frits and they orginated in Belgium. The Brits call 'em "chips". That whole thing came across as a redneck backlash.
I've been to Europe several time and each time we were embarassed by the large number of "ugly Americans" who seemed to pervade the usual tourist areas. These are the same PITAs we get, but in a louder, couldn't be more rude, incarnation. I got so tired of hearing,"Don't these people know that we're Americans!" like Americans were supposed to get special privileges. Get a clue people! Different country, different culture, different language!
To judge another group of people by our values and culture shows a lack of tolerance and understanding. Historically, we Americans have a tendancy to condemn people for their differences rather than try to understand them. That being said, unless we have a complete understanding of the French language, culture, history and mindset, we(in general) shouldn't be so quick to judge.
From what I heard on the radio about this article (I have not read it), the poll was done in other countries also and this was the results overall. Americans were #29 so I guess we are not as bad as we are told we are.
I was in Montreal and Quebec in 1994. I was cheated with a purchase exchange in Montreal and my friend experienced the exact same thing the next day in Quebec. She chose to follow my route - it was my fault for not having the correct amount in Canadian money and obviously that person needed the money more than I did. We did not blame the Province nor label everyone from that Province as cheaters. And this was when Quebec was in one of their Separatist Movements. Having heard they did not like Americans, we were waiting to see what would be. Most people were very nice. I truly believe the "Ugly American" exists more in the expectation than in reality.

Isn't that pretty much the reputation the French have in their own country. I've never had any desire to go to France, but I hear they aren't good hosts either and especially don't like Americans. Hopefully that's changing. Remember when we actually changed the name of our French fries to Freedom fries..
SweetiePie said:
Remember when we actually changed the name of our French fries to Freedom fries.
I remember that I thought that was just plain dumb. Anyway they're called Pom Frits and they orginated in Belgium. The Brits call 'em "chips". That whole thing came across as a redneck backlash.
I've been to Europe several time and each time we were embarassed by the large number of "ugly Americans" who seemed to pervade the usual tourist areas. These are the same PITAs we get, but in a louder, couldn't be more rude, incarnation. I got so tired of hearing,"Don't these people know that we're Americans!" like Americans were supposed to get special privileges. Get a clue people! Different country, different culture, different language!
To judge another group of people by our values and culture shows a lack of tolerance and understanding. Historically, we Americans have a tendancy to condemn people for their differences rather than try to understand them. That being said, unless we have a complete understanding of the French language, culture, history and mindset, we(in general) shouldn't be so quick to judge.
From what I heard on the radio about this article (I have not read it), the poll was done in other countries also and this was the results overall. Americans were #29 so I guess we are not as bad as we are told we are.
I was in Montreal and Quebec in 1994. I was cheated with a purchase exchange in Montreal and my friend experienced the exact same thing the next day in Quebec. She chose to follow my route - it was my fault for not having the correct amount in Canadian money and obviously that person needed the money more than I did. We did not blame the Province nor label everyone from that Province as cheaters. And this was when Quebec was in one of their Separatist Movements. Having heard they did not like Americans, we were waiting to see what would be. Most people were very nice. I truly believe the "Ugly American" exists more in the expectation than in reality.
gillumhouse said:
I truly believe the "Ugly American" exists more in the expectation than in reality.
Nope. I've seen them firsthand and they ARE pretty ugly. Like I said before, a PITA is a PITA no matter where in the world they go.

there's rude in all cultures.....yes even the Asians...
I know the French get a bad rep......rightfully so.....but there are exceptions.
It's some years since I had been to France....I recall some being stand offish....but all in all they were accomodating.
I found that if you try to use the home language, without butchering it terribly most native folks will be pleasant enough
Another observation when traveling.......if you the "tourist" are not snobbish, understanding and a relaxed attitude. In other words "pleasant" most will bend over backwards to some degree to help you.
I can't recall any overly bad experiences when I traveled

Latest posts

Back