What would Guests Put in the Bookcase Headboard?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
Himself insists on designing the bookcase headboard. The things I can think of ME placing in the compartments are: Clock radio/alarm/CD player in a center section to be accessed by both sides of the bed, the guest comment books that can be slid in that compartment also, TV and DVD remotes, and a box of Kleenex on both sides. I plan to have a solid board at least 6 inches above where the mattress hits to prop pillow for reading or watching TV. I will have the surge strips attached to the headboard on each side from floor up (MY lamps & clock unit plugged into the bottom plug(s) leaving the rest for guest gizmos). I want LED reading-type lamps on each side so partner not disturbed if other is reading late. Since it will be custom built, I plan a bit of "splash board" across top to prevent "slide behind" with the Gillum House in the center like I had put on the tea cabinet as decor. (My welder son made me a trivet of my house using a plasma cutter that we used for the template and it turned out great.)
Question - Is there something else I should have in this headboard for the guests.
Second Question: Other than glasses (contact case), cell phone, meds, book, laptop, possible sleep machine - what else would a guest possibly put in the compartments.
I copied a lot of photos of bookcase headboards to show Himself what I am thinking of so he can visualize it. That helped a LOT. OK, what will be put in it. Thanks for your help.

Use the force luke...
visit pinterest and see what they show. Not sure if this link will work, here.

Use the force luke...
visit pinterest and see what they show. Not sure if this link will work, here..
It worked, thank you. I found my basic design that even Himself liked. Just trying to think of what would be put in it to decide # and size of compartments.

You've mentioned everything I have, and everything I can think of, except the white noise machines I have by each bed. I have THIS model. They can make the sound of white noise (they call it waterfall), waves on the beach, thunderstorm, and a few other sounds.
Some people like to sleep with sounds like these, especially the white noise, and since you can set the volume to any level, you can drown out any noises like traffic, TV's playing elsewhere in the house, barking dogs, etc.

What I would put there as the guest:
  • Books
  • Magazines
  • Reading Glasses
  • Water glasses
  • Tablet + charger

You've mentioned everything I have, and everything I can think of, except the white noise machines I have by each bed. I have THIS model. They can make the sound of white noise (they call it waterfall), waves on the beach, thunderstorm, and a few other sounds.
Some people like to sleep with sounds like these, especially the white noise, and since you can set the volume to any level, you can drown out any noises like traffic, TV's playing elsewhere in the house, barking dogs, etc..
We rarely have any of those noises. IF the VFD gets a call there MAY be some vehicles racing into the parking lot (gravel) and a siren. No dogs nearby. I have parking lots on 2 sides & catty corner (funeral home - quiet residents), a quiet house - no kids at home now and no animals - behind, and a Physical Therapy on the fourth side. But I bookmarked it. Thank you.

We're in the country so we have binoculars in every room. And coasters for their drinks.

Some people like to sleep with sounds like these, especially the white noise, and since you can set the volume to any level, you can drown out any noises like traffic, TV's playing elsewhere in the house, barking dogs, etc..
Arks said:
Some people like to sleep with sounds like these, especially the white noise, and since you can set the volume to any level, you can drown out any noises like traffic, TV's playing elsewhere in the house, barking dogs, etc.
I have white noise makers as well. The most preferred white noise by guests? Portable fan which they lug in with their luggage. They say it is not the movement of air, but the noise that they can't sleep without.

Arks said:
I have white noise makers as well. The most preferred white noise by guests? Portable fan which they lug in with their luggage. They say it is not the movement of air, but the noise that they can't sleep without.
We had a guest with an app on their phone for the fan sound. Could even pick the noise they desired. I guess the saying 'there's an app for that' is true!

This is sort of what it will be. The shelf config is not what I want but this gives an idea. I am getting a "splash-rail" on top to attempt to keep anything on the top there instead of behind the headboard and I want the Gillum House logo as a "crest" in the center of the top. It is planned to be 48 inches high (old houses have very high ceilings so plenty of wall). It is going to be stained honey oak - the same as my tea cabinet for those who have been here.
CorrectHeadboard.jpg

This is sort of what it will be. The shelf config is not what I want but this gives an idea. I am getting a "splash-rail" on top to attempt to keep anything on the top there instead of behind the headboard and I want the Gillum House logo as a "crest" in the center of the top. It is planned to be 48 inches high (old houses have very high ceilings so plenty of wall). It is going to be stained honey oak - the same as my tea cabinet for those who have been here.
CorrectHeadboard.jpg
gillumhouse said:
I think you're having fun here! That's great!

CorrectHeadboard.jpg
gillumhouse said:
I think you're having fun here! That's great!
After thinking on it, the center will be just open, no shelf. Each side will have a 4-box arrangement. The entire top will also be available for things like laptop, sleep apnea machine some guests travel with, etc. The center will have the clock radio/alarm etc. One of the bottom squares on each side will house a box of kleenex, and the rest will be for whatever. What do youze guys think? Will it work? Researching the reading lamps now.

CorrectHeadboard.jpg
Hmmm, I have read through the suggestions and they cover everything we have encountered. But some folks have talked about finding sex toys lying around.
embaressed_smile.gif

CorrectHeadboard.jpg
I have decided the center section will be open" no shelves and the sides will be 4 compartments. With the top, there should be more space than with nightstands. My son suggested a 2-light led lamp in the middle on the top rather than one on each side - that way they can angle toward themselves and away from the sleeper. Makes sense to me. Any suggestions will be taken under consideration.

Back