What do I need for front desk

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hate to sound like a dummy, but if I have ResKey do I need a cash register and card reader?Does ResKey work through/with your website? I figure I need the cash register, we have two iPads for the business and cell phones, so am not sure why I really need. Was born in the stone age before all this technology!

Hate to sound like a dummy, but if I have ResKey do I need a cash register and card reader?Does ResKey work through/with your website? I figure I need the cash register, we have two iPads for the business and cell phones, so am not sure why I really need. Was born in the stone age before all this technology!
Welcome to the club! The first phone we had did not have a dial - at least all we had to do was pick up and wait for the operator to FINALLY ask number please - AFTER the others on the party line got done talking!!

I also have ResKey but if you are taking deposits or online payments you WILL need some sort of link to your bank account. I use Square for credit card processing. RESKEY has - I just checked to find it - a support Forum and you can contact RESKEY from it also. Log in and in tiny red letters under the Availability screen are the words Contact and other words, but I clicked Contact and the Forum came up. Ask your question there.

As I said, I use Square for processing credit cards and I do not take deposits. IFA I have someone wanting to pay for someone's room (like the Dad who paid for his daughter's room) I send an invoice through Square, he entered his credit card numbers, hit submit and I go the email from Square when he paid it. My Foundation I am on the Board of uses it for selling merchandise - slightly higher fee bit less than any processor. I do not have a cash register - just a small square gizmo that I keep charged up. I have the ap on my cell phone, enter the charges, they tap or insert their card and the sale is complete. The gizmo fits in the back pocket of my jeans and will work anywhere I have cell service. I hope this answers your question and is helpful.

Many with RESKEY have channel managers and take payment (or deposits) when the reservation is made with their RESKEY system.

So even if I have ResKey I still need Square? Do they provide the device you mention or do I need to buy a card reader, or ???
Do you have RESKEY set up to take Payments/Deposits? I would still recommend getting a Square account. The gizmo costs about $70 & comes with a charger cord (I used another charger cord on a previous and it wrecked it so only use the one that came with it.

Square is good if you have walk-ins, sell from a gift shop (I have Gillum mugs & ornaments, and WV products - honey, maple syrup, salsa, jellies in my "gift shop" - the shelves of my Hoosier cabinet in the dining room where everyone will see it. It is often the place where the gift for the dog sitter, babysitting parents, etc. is chosen. Other than the mugs & ornaments, I only have things that no one has to figure out "where the hell am I going to put THIS!" but it is all from West Virginia (mugs & ornaments. are made by a WV potter who signs each piece). Look for a potter in your area if you want mugs with your logo (we had a brass stamp made with my logo YEARS ago and it has more than paid for itself) and product of your State. THAT is what sells them. People are getting tired of seeing Made in China when they want something from a "special" place.Mugs-gillumhouse.JPG

Will look into the mugs because we will have a gift shop eventually. And the ResKey info is very helpful!

For your gift shop the more local the items in it the better. People want authentic and local. They are tired of Made in China (it used to be Made in Japan). Jams and jellies sell very well.

SDNewbie, Welcome to the world of hosting! We don't have a front office and use Resnexus. We take payment on our phone or PC through the back end and never have to have a card present or a mechanism to run it through. All done online with our reservation system. They can do it on their own through our website, or call and we collect the card information and receive deposit. It auto-processes the balance the morning they arrive. We can't see their card information once entered and the digital receipts of payment and confirmation are so nice. Some DO prefer to pay in cash or check, but we still send a digital receipt.
We don't have a storefront to sell things because our freedom and just dropping in to visit as convenient for them and us was more valuable to us than being around 24/7. We try to meet and have a personal conversation with every customer. We also are available by text, phone, and email and some prefer that over us stopping in. Just giving you another perspective.
It's an exciting but BUSY hosting world. Glad you've jumped in.

My "gift shop" is not open to the public. Some people in town know I have it and call to ask if they can come get a few things they need for a gift basket.

Just so you know you do NOT have to be tied to the B & B 24/7 here are a few of the things I am involved with in Shinnston (being off-the beaten-path, in a non-tourist mecca, and 3 rooms helps - but I MADE it a tourist destination): was on City Council - City Clerk since 2009, Planning & Coning Commission, Development Authority, 2 Community Bands, Garden Club & Woman's Club (2 of us are the work horses for both), Community Garden, on the Board of a Rail-Trail Foundation (current Treasurer), Lord's Pantry Board, resource for the high school Tourism & business class, and the Community Garden (all produce goes to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank).

I have told guests they had to arrive before xx:xx PM or after xx:xx PM If I had a concert or we had a parade, etc. They have all understood and complied.

SDNewbie, Welcome to the world of hosting! We don't have a front office and use Resnexus. We take payment on our phone or PC through the back end and never have to have a card present or a mechanism to run it through. All done online with our reservation system. They can do it on their own through our website, or call and we collect the card information and receive deposit. It auto-processes the balance the morning they arrive. We can't see their card information once entered and the digital receipts of payment and confirmation are so nice. Some DO prefer to pay in cash or check, but we still send a digital receipt.
We don't have a storefront to sell things because our freedom and just dropping in to visit as convenient for them and us was more valuable to us than being around 24/7. We try to meet and have a personal conversation with every customer. We also are available by text, phone, and email and some prefer that over us stopping in. Just giving you another perspective.
It's an exciting but BUSY hosting world. Glad you've jumped in.
So does Resnexus do what both Square and ResKey do together? I am not a techie and my eyes are crossed. Too many choices! I am interested in this, though I wonder about the cost. Please advise, and thanks for the info!

My "gift shop" is not open to the public. Some people in town know I have it and call to ask if they can come get a few things they need for a gift basket.

Just so you know you do NOT have to be tied to the B & B 24/7 here are a few of the things I am involved with in Shinnston (being off-the beaten-path, in a non-tourist mecca, and 3 rooms helps - but I MADE it a tourist destination): was on City Council - City Clerk since 2009, Planning & Coning Commission, Development Authority, 2 Community Bands, Garden Club & Woman's Club (2 of us are the work horses for both), Community Garden, on the Board of a Rail-Trail Foundation (current Treasurer), Lord's Pantry Board, resource for the high school Tourism & business class, and the Community Garden (all produce goes to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank).

I have told guests they had to arrive before xx:xx PM or after xx:xx PM If I had a concert or we had a parade, etc. They have all understood and complied.
Thanks for this and for your previous reply. It has been BUSY here! I intend to be more involved with my community as well as soon as we get on our feet a bit. Used to be a community newspaper reporter so know the drill about all this and worked with the various boards on many things before I retired here. Have lots of ideas about how to help organize and promote things and other community members have already expressed interest. Am running this with family who can help on the B&B side while I do business things. Just trying to catch my breath!

Back