We give away too much

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're absolutely right JB. The first 5 or 6 years I gave away too much. Then I saw the light. We already offered far more amenities than anyone else in our area. Guess what, the guests didn't even notice that the florist arrangements and little gifts disappeared. I added more packages so if they wanted those things they could buy them.
I still do cupcakes in their room for Anniversaries, b-days, etc., but that's it. Valentine's Day is an exception. I go all out with the desserts in the evening. We have one family that takes 3 of our 4 rooms every year and books it a year in advance. We all have a great time and the extra $ is something I gladly spend for them..
Breakfast Diva said:
Guess what, the guests didn't even notice that the florist arrangements and little gifts disappeared.
I used to put some delicious Arkansas-made pecan toffee in each room before the guests arrived, with a sticker on them saying they were from my sister's store across the street. People ate every bite, but nobody ever went to her store to get more, and nobody noticed when I stopped providing them. I stopped them, not because of the cost, but because it was too much trouble to keep replenishing them as I used them up.
And it GOOD toffee

We do give away too much - each. and every. day!

That said, after I tried to sell my add on's for this last weekend with no takers, I decided that since I made a 2 night requirement and raised my rates $10 per night I would do a little something in each room.
Nothing overly expensive brake down for each room: 1 Valentine balloon, 8 heart shaped chocolates placed in a heart shape on the bed, 4 chocolate covered strawberries given at check in.

Cost: balloons $1 each
Chocolates under $5 (no they weren't the best, not for 'free')
Strawberries: under $5 for the berries & chocolate (first of our local berries were out, yummy too as there were enough for us to have a couple too)
All the guests were surprised and very thankful with many stating they would come back. I very seldom get bookings as they depart like Mort. I just have to hope they mean it.

What did I do for valentine's day for the guests? The same as every single day of the year... I served a lovely breakfast. One guest ordered a package, everyone else got the standard stay as always. I didn't charge extra, I didn't give extra. Everyone was happy, as far as I could tell.

That said, after I tried to sell my add on's for this last weekend with no takers, I decided that since I made a 2 night requirement and raised my rates $10 per night I would do a little something in each room.
Nothing overly expensive brake down for each room: 1 Valentine balloon, 8 heart shaped chocolates placed in a heart shape on the bed, 4 chocolate covered strawberries given at check in.

Strawberries: under $5 for the berries & chocolate (first of our local berries were out, yummy too as there were enough for us to have a couple too)
All the guests were surprised and very thankful with many stating they would come back. I very seldom get bookings as they depart like Mort. I just have to hope they mean it..
All the guests were surprised and very thankful with many stating they would come back. I very seldom get bookings as they depart like Mort. I just have to hope they mean it.
Me too,

All the guests were surprised and very thankful with many stating they would come back. I very seldom get bookings as they depart like Mort. I just have to hope they mean it..
Me too,
gillumhouse said:
Me too,
Yes, lots say they loved it and will be back, will tell their friends, etc. They rarely carry though. Takes a combination of promotion and luck to get new ones coming in.

We used to have add ons for chocolate and champagne and got some takers. But because we put it in after the guests head out for dinner, we'd have to wait around and see them leave then get into their room and set it all up. It became more of a problem taking up my dinner time. So instead I raised the rate of all rooms by $5-10 a night and now purchase truffles wholesale and have a plate in each room with a welcome note. Guests love them and it's a great welcome amenity - it doesn't cost me any extra because I added it into the rate increase. With food cost and tax increases every year, if I'm going to add an amenity then I have to charge for it or I make less and with 2 kids heading to college I'm not about to go backwards in my earnings.

We used to have add ons for chocolate and champagne and got some takers. But because we put it in after the guests head out for dinner, we'd have to wait around and see them leave then get into their room and set it all up. It became more of a problem taking up my dinner time. So instead I raised the rate of all rooms by $5-10 a night and now purchase truffles wholesale and have a plate in each room with a welcome note. Guests love them and it's a great welcome amenity - it doesn't cost me any extra because I added it into the rate increase. With food cost and tax increases every year, if I'm going to add an amenity then I have to charge for it or I make less and with 2 kids heading to college I'm not about to go backwards in my earnings..
Do you do the truffles every day or just for the holiday weekend?

We used to have add ons for chocolate and champagne and got some takers. But because we put it in after the guests head out for dinner, we'd have to wait around and see them leave then get into their room and set it all up. It became more of a problem taking up my dinner time. So instead I raised the rate of all rooms by $5-10 a night and now purchase truffles wholesale and have a plate in each room with a welcome note. Guests love them and it's a great welcome amenity - it doesn't cost me any extra because I added it into the rate increase. With food cost and tax increases every year, if I'm going to add an amenity then I have to charge for it or I make less and with 2 kids heading to college I'm not about to go backwards in my earnings..
We always have a candy dish in the common room. Nothing in the bedrooms.
We set out Werther's originals and Andese mints. For holidays, we also add Hershey kisses.

We set out Werther's originals and Andese mints. For holidays, we also add Hershey kisses.
We leave York
wink_smile.gif
Peppermint Patties every night on the wine glass/corkscrew tray. For V-Day we left the special Strawberry truffles instead. We also have an add-on package of a bottle of Upscale Champagne plus a dozen Truffles for $30 (cost=$12); which has been selling quite well. With our Romance Dinner Package, if two or more nights are booked, they get a bottle of $6 California Champ plus 6 Truffles for an extra $5.
And finally, there is always a small bowl full of assorted Dove Promises in the dining room with the cookies, hot water pot, trail mix & pretzels.

Yes, the candy bowl! I spend all winter trying not to finish off last year's candy. Totally unsuccessful.

We leave York
wink_smile.gif
Peppermint Patties every night on the wine glass/corkscrew tray. For V-Day we left the special Strawberry truffles instead. We also have an add-on package of a bottle of Upscale Champagne plus a dozen Truffles for $30 (cost=$12); which has been selling quite well. With our Romance Dinner Package, if two or more nights are booked, they get a bottle of $6 California Champ plus 6 Truffles for an extra $5.
And finally, there is always a small bowl full of assorted Dove Promises in the dining room with the cookies, hot water pot, trail mix & pretzels.
Where do you get the truffles?
We never got an alcohol license so no champagne in the packages. It was just too much hassle having to be the alcohol police along with being the parking lot police!

We leave York
wink_smile.gif
We never got an alcohol license so no champagne in the packages. It was just too much hassle having to be the alcohol police along with being the parking lot police!
We use the wrapped Lindors, usually quite reasonable at BJs and they often have coupons so we stock up and they aren't as messy as homemade or others can be. We serve them in fancy hobnailed frilled glass stemware. I am quite sure that in our state many many B&Bs package champagne w/o apropos approval.

I agree, JB! Now that I'm just an inn guest instead of an innkeeper, I thought about your words. I have to tell you that even though I've appreciated some small touches from innkeepers in the past and recently, what I most remember is the overall experience of my favorite places...
The totally awesome breakfasts that stood out.
The room amenities that provided me with everything I needed in my "home away from home".
The crisp, clean, comfy bed that I climbed into after a day of sightseeing or a long drive.
The friendliness and hospitality of the innkeepers.
I can remember the name of each and every B&B/inn that stood out some way... :)

Yes, the candy bowl! I spend all winter trying not to finish off last year's candy. Totally unsuccessful.
Morticia said:
Number one reason we don't have a candy dish anymore.....
shades_smile.gif
We say that it wouldn't be fresh by the time another guest comes.
wink_smile.gif
Some times you just have to do it, its part of the job, you know. (guilty look)

Me too,
gillumhouse said:
Me too,
Yes, lots say they loved it and will be back, will tell their friends, etc. They rarely carry though. Takes a combination of promotion and luck to get new ones coming in.
Arks said:
gillumhouse said:
Me too,
Our music fests goers book as they go out and the family reunion, but that's all.... Mort, you know we are all jealous as can be!

Me too,
gillumhouse said:
Me too,
Arks said:
gillumhouse said:
Me too,
Our music fests goers book as they go out and the family reunion, but that's all.... Mort, you know we are all jealous as can be!
We did get a booking for 4th of July from a couple who stayed one night this past weekend. First time that has ever happened for us.

Me too,
gillumhouse said:
Me too,
Arks said:
gillumhouse said:
Me too,
We did get a booking for 4th of July from a couple who stayed one night this past weekend. First time that has ever happened for us.
TheBeachHouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
Keep up the good work!

I put a plate in each guest room the day of arrival with a note from us that welcomes them and it has 8 truffles, 4 different flavors. Guests love them. I also put out plates of cookies in the dining area … cookies and hot cocoa or coffee in the afternoon is a hit with all of my guests.

We leave York
wink_smile.gif
Birnn Chocolates out of Vermont - you have to buy a case which is 4 five-lb boxes but so long as you keep them in a cool dry place they last a couple months. Obviously in the summer I buy them much more often than the winter when we only have weekend business. They are excellent quality and a wholesale prices - like $9.99 instead of the $25lb my local chocolate shop was charging me for the same brand.

We leave York
wink_smile.gif
We use the wrapped Lindors, usually quite reasonable at BJs and they often have coupons so we stock up and they aren't as messy as homemade or others can be. We serve them in fancy hobnailed frilled glass stemware. I am quite sure that in our state many many B&Bs package champagne w/o apropos approval.
Momma Smurf said:
I am quite sure that in our state many many B&Bs package champagne w/o apropos approval.
I'm paranoid about ATF.
Do you get the sparkling wine at BJ's, too?

Back