Ways to make your inn more casual

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is a second post from the other one, to just hash this out over here.
What ways could you see making an inn more casual. Not as in going around barefoot and lackadaisical, but just making it more appealing to the avg person as a nice place to stay, and not a stuffy place to stay!

Ok. So let me just say that the photo of the guy reading the mag makes me think he's in the loo. ;-)
Maybe too causal?
We've gone casual here. Decor is beachy casual. Getting a logo done which will reflect new attitude. We've always tried to be casual, now the surroundings reflect that.

I think it's smart to go casual. These days, looking at how people dress when they go to church and even funerals, it's obvious that casual is what people want, and what they're comfortable with. If a place seems too formal, modern people don't even know what to do or what's expected.
Imagine having dinner with the family on Downton Abbey. I wouldn't take a bite, for fear of committing some error that made it obvious I have no savoir faire.

I think it's smart to go casual. These days, looking at how people dress when they go to church and even funerals, it's obvious that casual is what people want, and what they're comfortable with. If a place seems too formal, modern people don't even know what to do or what's expected.
Imagine having dinner with the family on Downton Abbey. I wouldn't take a bite, for fear of committing some error that made it obvious I have no savoir faire..
Arks said:
Imagine having dinner with the family on Downton Abbey. I wouldn't take a bite, for fear of committing some error that made it obvious I have no savoir faire.
Everyone waits for the host to start. Then you just do the same thing. When the host stops eating, you stop eating. It was probably easier back then to not make a fool of yourself as long as you knew that one rule.

- Decor is the #1 thing to make a place more casual -- no antiques, no tablecloths on the dining room tables, no candlelit breakfast
- Afternoon cookies, pretzels or brownies rather than tea which seems formal for the younger crowd
- Outdoor fire pit from another post
- Photo of innkeepers in casual dress rather than khakis and a sweater vest
- Intro on website should describe the place as a place to relax, put your feet up and get away from it all …

oh, this is funny! my place was so ... ummm ... casual ... that i longed to fancy it up. guess we were ahead of the curve!

- Decor is the #1 thing to make a place more casual -- no antiques, no tablecloths on the dining room tables, no candlelit breakfast
- Afternoon cookies, pretzels or brownies rather than tea which seems formal for the younger crowd
- Intro on website should describe the place as a place to relax, put your feet up and get away from it all ….
Funky tablecloths. I make them myself.

oh, this is funny! my place was so ... ummm ... casual ... that i longed to fancy it up. guess we were ahead of the curve!.
seashanty said:
oh, this is funny! my place was so ... ummm ... casual ... that i longed to fancy it up. guess we were ahead of the curve!
Your decor was perfect for your location. The new owner sends her minions to flea markets for decor.

- Intro on website should describe the place as a place to relax, put your feet up and get away from it all ….
I agree with changing the decor from the formal stuff but don't forget to change out the more formal light fixtures too. Our place is Texas style so we have a small antler hanging light, a light from a roof wind vent, a five-egg baskets light, a horseshoe lamp, a wagon wheel hub...well, you get the drift. And it all goes with our theme.
All our suites have the room names on the doors in different fonts - The Chippy Rose and The Texan (the only two we advertise), and Hang'em High (we'll advertise that one when we change the bed to king) and Texas Hold'em (our overflow bunks and game room). Today a booking from our web page (http://countrystarbedandbreakfast.com/) said he wanted The Texan suite because his wife thought the decor looked interesting - so decor does matter.
But during football season and graduations, it only matters if we have open beds! We even rent out our fifth wheel during those times, once to an ex-NFL player whose head went up into the skylight in the shower. He, his wife, and in-laws needed the beds and were dern glad to get 'em in this filled up town!

I agree with changing the decor from the formal stuff but don't forget to change out the more formal light fixtures too. Our place is Texas style so we have a small antler hanging light, a light from a roof wind vent, a five-egg baskets light, a horseshoe lamp, a wagon wheel hub...well, you get the drift. And it all goes with our theme.
All our suites have the room names on the doors in different fonts - The Chippy Rose and The Texan (the only two we advertise), and Hang'em High (we'll advertise that one when we change the bed to king) and Texas Hold'em (our overflow bunks and game room). Today a booking from our web page (http://countrystarbedandbreakfast.com/) said he wanted The Texan suite because his wife thought the decor looked interesting - so decor does matter.
But during football season and graduations, it only matters if we have open beds! We even rent out our fifth wheel during those times, once to an ex-NFL player whose head went up into the skylight in the shower. He, his wife, and in-laws needed the beds and were dern glad to get 'em in this filled up town!
Light fixtures are the bane of my existence. Cannot find affordable lighting that fits in the space left when I remove the hideous 80's lighting.

MtnKeeper said:
- Intro on website should describe the place as a place to relax, put your feet up and get away from it all …
my first ever review said this is a place you can kick off your shoes and relax.
several here have been to my place - I have no style. My dressers do not match the beds. Different woods, different stains on the woods. We left the doors exposing the layers of painted grain. I think you will convey your casual with photos of your Parks things and your blogs. Casual does not mean they do not want nice. Casual is an attitude, not necessarily a decor.

This is totally from a hotel person's point of view.
Some of the rooms have more modern upholstery than others. You might gradually try to phase in wing chairs or windsor chairs to all the rooms. And maybe take away some of the drapery around the beds. That's probably not the correct description, but when the canopy runs all the way to the floor. Take away the lamps that look very fragile or antique, and drop the word "antique" from your room description. As you need to replace bedding, perhaps more solid colors and fewer floral prints.
Is there a place upstairs where you could put morning coffee service? Refrig and coffee maker in 1 or 2 of your larger rooms? (I know all the reasons not to do in-room refrig, but I'm thinking hotel people - and I'm probably posting to the wrong thread)

well ... i hope everyone stays with a style they are comfortable with. if you're comfortable, i think your guests will be comfortable.
sometimes, i long for luxury and plush and elegant ... or classic and crisp ... there's a place for that.

You've all talked about decor, but let's talk about attitude. I think it's just as or more important to creating a casual atmosphere. We wear Inn t-shirts, jeans and sneakers as our uniform. We answer the door with a smile and usually a joke. Ok, broke down the first fence. We are very casual in our delivery, our kindness and our mannerisms (casual but professional). Us and our common rooms are very accessible (they can hang out with us in the kitchen and chat while we make cookies) and not-stuffy. Yes, decor matters - I've seen some places that I wouldn't want to book because they are too formal and hoity-toity. I'm casual, I want casual. But, you can set someone at ease with a casual nature and they will relax and not feel like they are intruding on your personal space. Just relax and treat them like friends - that goes a long way.

You've all talked about decor, but let's talk about attitude. I think it's just as or more important to creating a casual atmosphere. We wear Inn t-shirts, jeans and sneakers as our uniform. We answer the door with a smile and usually a joke. Ok, broke down the first fence. We are very casual in our delivery, our kindness and our mannerisms (casual but professional). Us and our common rooms are very accessible (they can hang out with us in the kitchen and chat while we make cookies) and not-stuffy. Yes, decor matters - I've seen some places that I wouldn't want to book because they are too formal and hoity-toity. I'm casual, I want casual. But, you can set someone at ease with a casual nature and they will relax and not feel like they are intruding on your personal space. Just relax and treat them like friends - that goes a long way..
Kay Nein said:
You've all talked about decor, but let's talk about attitude. I think it's just as or more important to creating a casual atmosphere. We wear Inn t-shirts, jeans and sneakers as our uniform. We answer the door with a smile and usually a joke. Ok, broke down the first fence. We are very casual in our delivery, our kindness and our mannerisms (casual but professional). Us and our common rooms are very accessible (they can hang out with us in the kitchen and chat while we make cookies) and not-stuffy. Yes, decor matters - I've seen some places that I wouldn't want to book because they are too formal and hoity-toity. I'm casual, I want casual. But, you can set someone at ease with a casual nature and they will relax and not feel like they are intruding on your personal space. Just relax and treat them like friends - that goes a long way.
and you do it well!
You are an inspiration.
heart.gif

You've all talked about decor, but let's talk about attitude. I think it's just as or more important to creating a casual atmosphere. We wear Inn t-shirts, jeans and sneakers as our uniform. We answer the door with a smile and usually a joke. Ok, broke down the first fence. We are very casual in our delivery, our kindness and our mannerisms (casual but professional). Us and our common rooms are very accessible (they can hang out with us in the kitchen and chat while we make cookies) and not-stuffy. Yes, decor matters - I've seen some places that I wouldn't want to book because they are too formal and hoity-toity. I'm casual, I want casual. But, you can set someone at ease with a casual nature and they will relax and not feel like they are intruding on your personal space. Just relax and treat them like friends - that goes a long way..
Yeah... except the joke at the door. The humourless will leave a nasty TA review for that. We know that from experience.

Yeah... except the joke at the door. The humourless will leave a nasty TA review for that. We know that from experience.
Jon Sable said:
It helps to be good at reading people (I am not), because the same ones who don't enjoy a joke probably also prefer a more formal atmosphere. So joke and be casual with the ones you sense will appreciate it, and be less so with the ones who seem stiff, at least until you get to know their personality better.
Maybe wait for the guest to make the first joke ;-)

Jon Sable said:
It helps to be good at reading people (I am not), because the same ones who don't enjoy a joke probably also prefer a more formal atmosphere. So joke and be casual with the ones you sense will appreciate it, and be less so with the ones who seem stiff, at least until you get to know their personality better.
There was no way to win with this one anyway. She wanted the Ritz at the Motel Six price anyway and had the dour disposition to prove it.

Jon Sable said:
There was no way to win with this one anyway. She wanted the Ritz at the Motel Six price anyway and had the dour disposition to prove it.
Jon Sable said:
There was no way to win with this one anyway.
Yes, that's often the case. They arrive with an attitude. Game over.

Jon Sable said:
Ok, y'all. I'm not talking about "A horse walked into a bar" joke or "What did the condom say to the cupcake?" I mean, come on. We joke around with our guest and they love it. Makes them feel at home and helps them relax in a strange environment. We love our guests and it genuinely shows. It's all about the delivery. No one's ever been offended, left bad reviews or fought back from a little good humor. And the stiff ones are the people who need it most. It works for us.

Back