Too far from McDonalds....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After 11 back and forth many question emails (including about heating and mobile coverage), and booking well in advance in August last year for a 4 night stay the guests arrived yesterday in the self contained cottage.
It is Summer over here in Australia, shorts and T shirt weather.
The guests arrived and left within 15 minutes.
Went home 2 hrs away and sent us an email explaining that they had to leave as they
a) got lost on the way.
b) It was cold and they couldn't locate the heaters I had mentioned the week before (just on the floor not hidden away).
c) Their mobiles didn't work and so they couldn't ring to ask us where they were. They said they saw my husband on the tractor but it was moving away from them.
She said "The cottage was lovely and they loved all the animals, and would love to come back in the future", but nevertheless while she understood our terms and conditions asked for the money back......
So I called them.
There is a budget mobile phone carrier over here in Aus that is cheap but has little little coverage
thumbs_down.gif
- this is who they were with. Forget that there is reception in the village - mentioned clearly in an email to her the week before.
BUT HERE'S THE CLANGER
She said "The other main reason we couldn't stay was McDonald's was 8 kms away and we couldn't go that far for all our meals".
OMG
omg_smile.gif
! I said to her "But the village just 500 metres away in walking distance has a butcher, bakery, deli". She said "Yes but I didn't want to cook I want to be on holiday!" .
So I pointed out there were in the same village just 500m walk away 5 cafes open, and also a bistro, carvery restaurant, chinese restaurant, 2 pizza places.
In the end she accepted no refund was fair, and that if she returns she can have a free night added on (Im sure we will be booked out that week
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
).

You're going to end up with the PITA award, you know that, right? It's like a baton we pass to the innkeeper with the most difficult guests.

She really had to stretch to come up with that list, none of which was a good reason. Wonder what the real reason was...

You're going to end up with the PITA award, you know that, right? It's like a baton we pass to the innkeeper with the most difficult guests..
Morticia said:
You're going to end up with the PITA award, you know that, right? It's like a baton we pass to the innkeeper with the most difficult guests.
You mean the baton that Maddy owns?

Dodged a bullet. Heck, I would have forgone the charge in hopes of never hearing their name ever again.

You're going to end up with the PITA award, you know that, right? It's like a baton we pass to the innkeeper with the most difficult guests..
Morticia said:
Jon Sable said:
Morticia said:
I know she parts with it on occasion. And I don't think she has it right now. Someone else had a real doozie awhile ago.

Seriously? the only time I send people to macdonalds is if they arrive say 9pm on a tuesday and need feeding - its one of only 2 places that serves late on a week night -otherwise we have 130 plus places to eat that are better!

Morticia said:
This is down unda, so it is a boomerang.
But you know what that means right? Comesbackatchya.
shades_smile.gif

If they were so diligent to send you 11 emails with questions and concerns, I can't believe they weren't diligent enough to research the area and what was available. They obviously have internet! What a bunch of ding-dongs!!

If they were so diligent to send you 11 emails with questions and concerns, I can't believe they weren't diligent enough to research the area and what was available. They obviously have internet! What a bunch of ding-dongs!!.
Kay Nein said:
If they were so diligent to send you 11 emails with questions and concerns, I can't believe they weren't diligent enough to research the area and what was available. They obviously have internet! What a bunch of ding-dongs!!
Diligent is a good word, I read "needy" and "hand-holders"
Funny a "self catering" cottage is pretty easy to imagine, bless their hearts. We need to get the innkeepers in Oz onboard with our little secret southern-isms.
shades_smile.gif

What is wrong with these people, 1 meal in 4 days is dubious in my book but "all" of them? Sheesh!

Back