Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossbow

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for advice on several topics but will try to keep it simple in hopes of getting some good info that I can expand on. With US/EU citizenship and cash in hand, I am looking to open a B&B somewhere on 2 continents within the next 6 months. The biggest challenge is getting my partner excited about researching where to open. We've traveled up and down the East and West Coast of the United States, and now we are thinking of Europe as an option. We approach situations differently and I'm having difficulty connecting with her and getting her excited because she feels overwhelmed and communication shuts down. Thus, my first question is how to engage her so she is willing to talk openly with me.

Next, I'm curious about trying to renovate vs. buying an established B&B.

Third, as she gets older, she is concerned about temperatures exceeding 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 Celcius) for an extended period. I've looked at Northern Spain and Ireland as possibilities... does anyone have recommendations or suggestions along those lines?

Thank you in advance for all your help!!

I started in 1996, bought a house that was in good shape - just needed wiring upgrade, new windows (1912 window frames shrank), we chose siding over paint, and then basically scraped wallpaper (about 8 layers) off the walls & ceilings and painted the rooms. Also house prices in West Virginia, USA were a lot less than other places. We turned it into a 3-guestroom B & B. Starting from "scratch" can be less expensive but also will be less profitable until you get known. Purchasing an existing will be a lot more expensive, but should be guest ready (unless it has been closed and needs upgrades to reopen). IF it has a good reputation keep the name - if it has been allowed to go downhill to the point of a LOT of bad reviews, change the name.

I know nothing of Europe, but West Virginia USUALLY had a moderate climate and has mountains. Northern USA (draw a line across just south of Chicago - north of that line you will freeze your butt but have (normally) mild summers. South of that line, summers you will fry your brains but winter will be mild.

My suggestion is FIRST decide where you want to LIVE! You will be there year round (unless you are seasonal business and go elsewhere for the off=-season). If you are not happy living there, it will never work. So to get a conversation going ASK WHERE would you like to live? Who has the idea of a B & B - you or her? It is a lot of work and .long hours. With no breakfast to fix, I got to sleep until 9 yesterday but had laundry and dishes to catch up on and a room to get ready for guests last night. These guests were sweet and wanted breakfast at 9 so I got to sleep until 6 this morning (went to bed around 11 PM last night). After they left, I put away what needed taken care of, went upstairs and "flipped" the room (changed sheets, removed towels, cleaned the bathroom and the guestroom). I am now eating MY breakfast/lunch while I take a break. I will start a load of laundry before I go to the grocery for things i need for tomorrow's breakfast and then do dishes.. My guest will arrive sometime after 3 PM (I hope). Meanwhile, I have not entered the receipts form the last few trips to the grocery, updated my website with the September events in town, have not even looked at e-mails (but I have answered 4 "dead-air" and 1 real phone calls. Due to other obligations I have in my City, I will get to bed around Midnight tonight and depending on what time is requested for breakfast, might be getting up as early as 4:40 - 5:00 AM to make breakfast. I run solo - no staff.

You might also get more response if you look at opening ONE B & B in ONE place. My B & B was what I wanted - he helped minimally but did not get in my way. BUT we bought a house where I wanted to live. It is not where I knew anyone but I made this home, i got involved in the City and I have grown old here. I expect to die here. I have tried to give you REAL scenarios and what to expect. Many go into this profession clueless, when they find out what all it entails - hate it, but are stuck. If you go in knowing what to expect you will love it. When I have obligations with the City or go away, I block my on-line reservation system and close down (IF I had more rooms, I would most likely hire an innsitter for when I traveled.)

May everything work out thy way you hope - but at least you now (I hope) have an idea what to expect. Ask away....

Thank you so much for your thorough, thoughtful, and prompt reply. I need to clarify that we are only planning to buy ONE B&B, however, we have the option of two continents. We have been asking ourselves the "Where do we want to live?" question but haven't agreed. I would enjoy making roots and becoming a part of the community we move to, so I will focus our attention on deciding "Where?". Thanks again and good luck to you!!!

Gillumhouse - good answer! Soooo many guests come in and tell me - "you are living our dream!". I then tell them this: "Come work here for a week and I will cure you of your delusion!". This is not a job. There is no "clocking out". You are on duty 24 hours a day 7 days a week. What this is, is a lifestyle, and it is not for everyone. I love what we do and that is important. I've been here for 16 years (11 as the owner). We are aging (I'm 64 and husband is 67) and the workload is getting tiring. Just a few more years and we will be looking at how to modify what we are doing as to whether it is more seasonal, part-time, retreat, small groups kind of thing or just move on entirely. Unfortunately, moving on is something that I might not be able to emotionally handle. Anyway, Best Advice - decide where you want to live - you have so very many options I would suggest narrowing it down to a couple of places and then go spend a few weeks in each and get to know the community etc. Get to know some of the local people and ask questions. Lots of questions.

Crossbow - I wish you all the best in your search for your perfect place!

Gillumhouse - good answer! Soooo many guests come in and tell me - "you are living our dream!". I then tell them this: "Come work here for a week and I will cure you of your delusion!". This is not a job. There is no "clocking out". You are on duty 24 hours a day 7 days a week. What this is, is a lifestyle, and it is not for everyone. I love what we do and that is important. I've been here for 16 years (11 as the owner). We are aging (I'm 64 and husband is 67) and the workload is getting tiring. Just a few more years and we will be looking at how to modify what we are doing as to whether it is more seasonal, part-time, retreat, small groups kind of thing or just move on entirely. Unfortunately, moving on is something that I might not be able to emotionally handle. Anyway, Best Advice - decide where you want to live - you have so very many options I would suggest narrowing it down to a couple of places and then go spend a few weeks in each and get to know the community etc. Get to know some of the local people and ask questions. Lots of questions.

I NEEDED to be back in West Virginia - it did not matter where, but West Virginia. Himself did not like my home area - no problem. I am where I was MEANT to be. I walked into this house and it said, "stop looking, I'm yours." Perfect floor plan for a B & B. I thought about selling to a young couple wanting to do B & B, then looked at what I would have to do - JUST to make my quarters ready for a house tour. NOPE! My kids can hire a couple of dumpsters after I die. Since I live here, I may as well be open. However, I no longer aggressively market or advertise - I am pushing 80 - but with my website and all the links to the website, people are still finding me. I can still get up the stairs to flip the rooms so I will keep on keep'n on.

Thanks for responding!! I spent a year working at a B&B, so I have a little experience with the workload. However, as an employee, I could go home after my shift and wasn't on call 24/7 like the owner. Still, it was a wonderful experience that took advantage of many of my skills, so I look forward to running one. We will look to narrow down a few areas and explore them thoroughly.

The biggest challenge is getting my partner excited about researching where to open. We've traveled up and down the East and West Coast of the United States, and now we are thinking of Europe as an option. We approach situations differently and I'm having difficulty connecting with her and getting her excited because she feels overwhelmed and communication shuts down. Thus, my first question is how to engage her so she is willing to talk openly with me.
There are two types of inn owners in my experience:
1. The hands-off business owner who has a manager and never deals with the day-to-day operations of the business. This is more common with larger properties and rare in smaller ones.

2. The lifestyle innkeeper(s). They work the business every day and frequently live on the property.

If you fall into the first category, no problem. If you fall into the second category, I have some life advice for you from someone who's known and helped thousands of innkeepers over the last three decades. If your partner isn't 100% in you're headed for headaches, heartbreaks, and likely failure. If they're not in love with the idea, the only way to get there is to wait until they are by visiting tons of properties and even working at a few to see what it's like.

Next, I'm curious about trying to renovate vs. buying an established B&B.
Buy an established property. Building a new one when you have little to no experience in the industry is yet another way to make some very costly mistakes. See some B&B's for sale here.

Good luck!

I NEEDED to be back in West Virginia - it did not matter where, but West Virginia. Himself did not like my home area - no problem. I am where I was MEANT to be. I walked into this house and it said, "stop looking, I'm yours." Perfect floor plan for a B & B. I thought about selling to a young couple wanting to do B & B, then looked at what I would have to do - JUST to make my quarters ready for a house tour. NOPE! My kids can hire a couple of dumpsters after I die. Since I live here, I may as well be open. However, I no longer aggressively market or advertise - I am pushing 80 - but with my website and all the links to the website, people are still finding me. I can still get up the stairs to flip the rooms so I will keep on keep'n on.
I totally agree with the whole dumpster thing! You just keep on keepin' on!!!

There are two types of inn owners in my experience:
1. The hands-off business owner who has a manager and never deals with the day-to-day operations of the business. This is more common with larger properties and rare in smaller ones.

2. The lifestyle innkeeper(s). They work the business every day and frequently live on the property.

If you fall into the first category, no problem. If you fall into the second category, I have some life advice for you from someone who's known and helped thousands of innkeepers over the last three decades. If your partner isn't 100% in you're headed for headaches, heartbreaks, and likely failure. If they're not in love with the idea, the only way to get there is to wait until they are by visiting tons of properties and even working at a few to see what it's like.

Buy an established property. Building a new one when you have little to no experience in the industry is yet another way to make some very costly mistakes. See some B&B's for sale here.

Good luck!
Great advice!! Thanks for responding.

Latest posts

Back