Calling all Veterans: Help me structure compensation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern Rosebud

Reaction score
I am new in this business, established a new start-up B&B after fully renovating and restoring a historic property. We are getting rave reviews which is fantastic but we are still in our first year of operations, and as to be expected it is taking time to get to a reasonably full capacity.
So I we are at the point where I need help, and was struggling with how to "structure" a position due to the inconsistent needs of our property. It simply cannot be paid hourly, it just won't work.
The responsibilities of this position include:
--breakfast in the mornings during the week (but maybe not every day every week)
--coordinating the housekeepers/checking rooms, occasional and hands-on housekeeping
--checking in guests/concierge service
So it's a quirky position to fill in terms of scheduling, but I happen to have a perfect candidate. She is a friend of mine who is also my neighbor a few blocks away, and she recently OFFERED to help if I needed it, falling out of the sky like manna from heaven. To top it off, 20 years ago she was my assistant, so I know what she is capable of doing and would be perfect. And it could grow in the future to her having a much larger role as the property's bookings grow.
As an aside, she doesn't really need to work, but wants a reason to get out of the house. (Not that this matters but for what it's worth). I've also just emailed my CPA asking for his accountant perspective.
So here is my question: How do I structure compensation? Per breakfast, per room flipped, per guest checked-in? I thought about a percent of revenues but she's not driving bookings and it's only part time, may not be the best approach.
Any ideas and suggestions would be tremendously appreciated!

I'm not sure why this position can't be paid hourly? Then you'd only be paying her for the hours that you need her since it's going to be inconsistent hours. Obviously she'd be more of an assistant than a housekeeper with that much guest interaction and you'd pay her more than your housekeepers get. In the fall season when I want to go to my kids basketball games I pay a friend $15 an hour to sit here to check in guests from 5-9pm. Sometimes she has 1 or 2 checkins, sometimes it's 4-6. She is also there to get them ice, answer any questions, etc. I can't imagine paying her by the checkin or how much concierge work she does because her time is worth money and to drive here to be paid for just one checkin wouldn't be worth it to her but totally worth it to me. And we all know those checkins arrive whenever they feel like it so what if she sits doing nothing for 3 hours and then does the one checkin - how could you determine what that is worth?

Welcome!

I do not hire out so I am not a good judge on this matter but I don't understand why it can't be hourly.
You could have her clock in and out as she is needed.
Good luck and hope you will stick around and share!

I wrote an answer before and erased it because you said hourly doesn't work. But, I'm back now to ask why? Most people I know who hire help, even friends, pay hourly. If you think you might insult her with a too low wage then consider what it's worth to have the time to do something else.

Mom and pop business, so I don't have hired help, but from positions where I worked for others you may want to start by reading up on wage and hour rules, both federal and state. Seems to me your options are either hourly or high enough salary to be considered management. Independent contractor perhaps, but that's generally looked at closely, as to how much control you have over that person.

Welcome! I also think hourly is the way to go on an as needed basis if she is that flexible.
But I disagree with you that she's not going to be "driving bookings". And I'm not saying this to start an argument. But ... A great breakfast is so important! I had many people book their next stay immediately following breakfast. Check ins and concierge service go a long way to repeat visits. As does an immaculate place. These are all crucial elements to a positive guest experience and repeat visits. I started handing out cards 10% savings if they booked their next stay before they left- and yes I'd honor it if they booked soon afterwards as well. I had all staff have these cards to offer.
Forget that awesome website, reviews and booking sites for a minute.
A guest in the door is already 'sold' for one visit ... the breakfast, how well they are treated and having the place clean, comfortable and restful will hopefully sell them again.

Welcome! I also think hourly is the way to go on an as needed basis if she is that flexible.
But I disagree with you that she's not going to be "driving bookings". And I'm not saying this to start an argument. But ... A great breakfast is so important! I had many people book their next stay immediately following breakfast. Check ins and concierge service go a long way to repeat visits. As does an immaculate place. These are all crucial elements to a positive guest experience and repeat visits. I started handing out cards 10% savings if they booked their next stay before they left- and yes I'd honor it if they booked soon afterwards as well. I had all staff have these cards to offer.
Forget that awesome website, reviews and booking sites for a minute.
A guest in the door is already 'sold' for one visit ... the breakfast, how well they are treated and having the place clean, comfortable and restful will hopefully sell them again..
Great advice SS.

I do exactly these kind of things at a local Inn and am paid hourly. I agree that $15 an hour is fair for the duties, and making the person an independent contractor makes the most sense because of the inconsistent hours. If you absolutely know that you will have her work more than 20 hours a week, though - you really need to check the labor laws so you don't get yourself (and her) crosswise with taxes.

I am not sure why you think this is quirky, I think it sounds pretty normal for someone working at an Inn. How large a place is yours? I have to totally agree with SeaShanty. Hourly would be the way to go.

Welcome!
I worked for a large inn long before I became an innkeeper/owner myself and had very similar duties to what you're describing that your friend will have, although sometimes I worked a daytime schedule and sometimes I was there in the evening strictly for check-ins, concierge services, and afternoon baking.
I was paid hourly and I think it's really the most fair and easiest way to go. Your accountant should advise you on what the filing requirements are for you and your friend.
Also, be sure that you outline EXACTLY what your expectations are for this job and define the duties/hours per week carefully. I have been in a position myself where I worked for/helped out a neighbor and experienced a gradual expectation in the types of jobs that they wanted me to do which demanded more and more of my time with no increase in pay per hour. Both parties have to define the parameters of the job. I think it's tricky sometimes because you have to be careful that you're not taking advantage of an existing relationship. And it can be difficult to have a conversation about this later than sooner. Best to try to cover all your bases honestly from the beginning.
Best of luck!

Back